Sunday, April 10, 2016

Customize to Match Your Style and Decor

Today I have a pretty simple DIY to share with you. I remember seeing ceramic tiles all over Pinterest. Gosh, that was months and months ago. I remember thinking it was such an awesome idea to make them into coasters. For one it is easy to do  and for two it is a great way to customize something to match your style and decor.

If you did some home renovating and have a few extra tiles left over this is a great DIY to put them to use rather than let them lie around collecting dust. Or if you are like me you'll find some at a garage sale for a steal. I paid fifty cents for eight tiles. Or I guess you might be extra lucky to find some while curb shopping.

I have no idea how long I've had my tiles waiting around for me to work on them. Wait a second ...nope I can't remember when I purchased these ceramic tiles. I am glad I finally got around to completing this project. I love how they turned. out. 


DIY Ceramic Tile Coasters.



DIY Ceramic Tile Coasters

"Turn your left over ceramic tiles into customized coasters to match your style and decor."



DIY Ceramic Tile CoastersYou will need:

  • ceramic tiles
  • felt or some kind of material for the bottom of your tile
  • scissors to cut the felt
  • a permanent marker or pencil crayons
  • Inspiration (I used one a green foam sticker of a dragonfly)


DIY Ceramic Tile Coasters
This was my first coaster. I used a dark red pencil crayon to emphasize the coasters chiseled edges and to shade in the silhouette of a dragonfly.

Pencil crayon is actually a pretty good choice. It won't smudge when it gets wet and it doesn't scratch off easily.

If you like subtle then this would be the best technique for you to use.


DIY Ceramic Tile Coasters
My seven year old granddaughter usually likes to help out especially if it means she can be creative.

Here are  Faith's interpretation of decorated DIY coasters. 

She first made a dragon fly just like her grandma then branched off and did something of her own. 

The purple happy face will always bring a smile to my face when I pull this coaster out to use. How about you? Would you prefer to have a wee one customize a coaster for you?

Hey this would make an awesome gift for Christmas, Mother's day or even a birthday. I'll have to try and remember this.


DIY Ceramic Tile Coasters
For my second coaster, I decided to try something a little bolder. 

My friend Susan from Organized31   has used this stippling technique several times to customize  and dress up a project.

I absolutely love how these look. 

Unfortunately I learned the hard way that the marker takes quite some time to totally dry on the tile. I smudged it three times before I figured out to just let it be over night. Ya I had to redo it three times. I guess three times is a charm cause it looks better now than the first time I drew it.

DIY Ceramic Tile Coasters.I also learned that the marker needed extra protection so I gave it a couple of coats of clear finish. (Even though the marker is supposed to be permanent, it still smears when it gets wet.) Now they are totally protected. But I still wouldn't throw it in the sink with dirty dishes or in the dish washer. I would take precautions to make my art safe by just wiping off any mess on the coasters with a damp cloth.

Do you know a better way to protect the marker from bleeding when it gets wet?

I could just look at those coasters all day. Little works of art. Especially the purple happy face!




Oh look!. Imagine my surprise to see my post featured at This Momma's Meandering Mondays. Thank you, thank you, thank you.


I love to read your opinions and comments. It makes my day. 

Bye for now. 

Wishing you the best, Darlene

My apologies, all anonymous comments are deleted due to an excessive amount of spam.




Don't forget to subscribe, like and share!

14 comments:

  1. Darlene these are so precious. A great repurpose indeed! And they can be customized so you can pretty much draw anything Yes, this is the perfect gift for Mother's Day! The purple one is my favorite too! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sweet coasters, Darlene. I think everyone should have a purple happy face coaster in their life. It would make the world a much happier place without a doubt

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh these would make such great gifts for any occasion! Love these diy customized coasters Darlene! awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darlene, These are wonderful! The purple happy face is adorable and the dragonfly coasters are beautiful! Thanks for sharing and for the tips! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love coasters and they do make good gifts. The bolder dragonfly is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice craft to make using tiles!
    Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shortly after moving into our home, my hubby went exploring in the attic area and found a box of tiles tucked away. Now I have an idea of what I can do with them! Make lovely coasters like yours! Thanks, Darlene, for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really a great idea, Darlene! Coasters are so crazy expensive. I have several sets of 4 just because I usually can't bring myself to buy more than that at one time, but that means when we have dinner guests, the coasters are a hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your coasters look great, Darlene. I've made several sets of DIY coasters and they are fun to make and to use. They make great gifts, too. Your granddaughter's coasters are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are so cute! love how your decorated them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these coasters, they are going straight on my coaster pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These coasters are super cool! I love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO pretty!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How sweet are these little coasters! I love how you can customize them for anyone in your life! Thanks for linking up with us at Welcome Home Wednesdays! I can't wait to see what you link up with us... the party is open so don't forget to link-up!

    ReplyDelete