Sunday, September 14, 2014

Candy Apple Red Crocheted Blanket Pattern



Please Share the Love




Aww, another crocheted blanket.

But this one was a special request from my daughter Nicole who wanted a bright red1 blanket. Her colour choice surprised me. Purple is her fav not red. 

She loves to wind down at the end of the day and enjoy some solitude. Once her rumbustious little girl is in bed for the night Nicole can cuddled up with her blanket and watch a “grown up” show on the television.


This blanket was quick and easy. A beginner could definitely make one of these and in their favorite colour.

Once you get into the swing of it, crocheting the basic granny square can be completed quite fast. Plus the bigger the squares, the less joins which means less time finishing. 

Hope you enjoy. Give it a try.




Candy Apple Granny Square Blanket

Candy Apple Red Crocheted Blanket Pattern 

You will need:
5mm Crochet Hook
5 Super Saver Cherry Red Yarn

You will make:
20 Basic Granny Squares


See below for links to Amazon to purchase the supplies needed to make your very own red granny square blanket. If you decide to purchase I will be I will receive a small monetary compensation. 

I love the multi-colored aluminum crochet needles - they feel smooth in your hands and the colors are so pretty.

Basic Granny Square Pattern

Ch 5. Join with ss to form a ring.

1st Round: Ch 3 (counts a 1 dc). 2dc in ring. *Ch 1. 3dc in ring. Repeat from *twice more. Ch 3. Ss in top of ch 3.

2nd Round: Ch 4 (counts as 1 dc and ch 1). *Ch 1. (3dc. Ch 1 3dc) in next ch 1 space  for corner. Ch 1. Repeat from * twice more, (3 dc. Ch . 2 dc) in last ch 1 space. Ss in 3rd ch of ch 4.

3rd Round: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc). 2 dc in ch 1 space. Repeat from * twice more. Ch 1. (3 dc. Ch 1.  3 dc) in last ch 2 space for corner Ch 1. Ss in top of ch 3.

4th Round: Ch 4 (counts as 1 dc and ch 1) 3dc in next ch 1 space. *Ch1. (3dc. Ch2. 3dc) in next ch 2 space for corner. (Ch1, 3 dc in next ch1 space to next corner. Repeat from * twice more. Ch 1 (3 dc. Ch 2. 3 dc) in next ch 2 space for corner. Ch 1. 2dc in last ch1 space. Ss in 3rd ch of ch 4.

5th Round: ch 3 (counts as  1 dc). 1 dc in back lp  to ch 2 space for corner. 1 dc ch 1 dc ch 1 dc in corner. Dc to next corner. Repeat from * all the way around granny square. Ss in top of ch 3. Fasten off.

Rounds 6 – 8: Repeat Round 5.


Granny Square Layout for Blanket


Finishing


If I have any loose ends this is when I weave them into the back of the blanket.

So what do you think? How did it turn out? My daughter was excited and loves it.

Well that's it for today. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your time with me. 

If you did, please feel free to share the love or opt to follow along on one of the social media platforms. Those friendly little buttons are on the right side bar. Bye for now. Wishing you the best, Darlene

Candy Apple Red Crocheted Blanket Pattern


****************************

Hold on One Minute



Awesome Things Tuesday
Thank you Amanda Corbet from Krafting Kreations for choosing this project to be featured at Awesome Things Tuesday.

If you would like to see the other features please click HERE.


****************************


Thank you Sara for selecting my red blanket to be featured at your party. 

Sara said, "Fall is here, and the weather is changing. The morning air was a little bit chilly even in Florida. This Granny Square Blanket from Darlene Nemeth is the perfect blanket to start for the cooler weather. Looks quick and easy to make. I haven't tried granny squares yet, and this looks like a good beginner pattern. Thanks for sharing! Congratulations to the featured blogs!"

To see the other featured blog please click HERE.


****************************


Thank you Rachael for featuring my blanket on your blog.

Rachael said this, "Isn't this Candy Apple Blanket by Darlene so cozy? I love the bright red."

Check out The Philosopher's Wife blog HERE.

****************************


30 comments:

  1. I love this! I'd love you to share it at Outside {the Box} link party Tuesday 5pm EST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous gorgeous! Red is my favourite colour and I do love a granny square - they really are hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I have never been able to master the "Granny Stitch" This makes me want to give it another shot. Thanks for sharing. Its lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I was having trouble replying to comments. Finally figured it out - it was a setting that needed changing. I don't even know how it was changed in the first place.

      I am so glad you stopped by and left me a comment. You should give it another try. Once you get it you will be making one blanket after the other!

      Delete
  4. Simply Gorgeous! I love to crochet and I am bookmarking this one for future projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I am so thrilled that you like it and bookmarked it for a future project. Once you finish it send me a pic so I can see it and feature it here. I'm really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  5. beautiful red color! Love the granny square pattern! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!! I really need to get back into crocheting!

    Thanks so much for linking up at #WhateverWednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got back into crocheting about two years ago and I've just become a crocheting maniac!

      Delete
  7. Your afghan is gorgeous! I love the bright red color too. I always get the crochet urge this time of year, and now I want to pull out my yarn and hooks. Thank you for sharing with us at Wake Up Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best time of year to get your yarn and hooks out. Summer is too hot to have a big afghan sitting on you as you join the squares together.

      Delete
  8. I have a tendency to think the granny square is old-fashioned, but I love the bright, monochromatic look of this blanket -- it has a great contemporary vibe.

    I'd love to see you join us and link up at Inspire Us Thursday: Sew Needle Stitch Hook on The Inspired Wren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's a lovely compliment. I'll be sure to link up at Inspire us Thursday.

      Delete
  9. I love that one photo with the blanket sitting on the chair (right above the layout for the blanket). It's a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. Me too. It was tie between that pic and the very first one at the top.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful work. You did am amazing job.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much Debi. That means a lot to me.

      Delete
  11. I wish I could crochet. I should really try sometime.

    You did a beautiful job - this is gorgeous!

    Thanks for sharing and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop!

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. You really should give it a try. It is pretty simple. I taught myself with an old vintage book and I really love doing it crocheting.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful! I wish I had your talent. Thanks for sharing via Mommy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this blanket. I'm a knitter, not a crocheter, but I may have to give this one a try. Thanks so much for the directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've knit a few sweaters in the past. I found it difficult. Crocheting is sooo much easier to me. I admire you for conquering the knitting needles.

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful blanket! The red is so cheery.

    Thank you for linking up at my Yarn Fanatic Party, I hope to "see" you there again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Darlene, wow I love this blanket you made and the color is so pretty! I love all of your creations.

    ReplyDelete