Wednesday, December 11, 2013

7 Things I Look For On Your Blog?



Please Share the Love
One of the things that I love most about blogging is visiting my fellow bloggers and checking out their amazing posts.

Of course when I find something particularly interesting I want to share it. I want to know more about the blogger and I want to be able to follow them. 

Sometimes it can be so frustrating. But more importantly, that blogger is missing out - missing out on the sharing and following. Not that I am a super star blogger but every bit helps right.


7 Things I Look For When I Visit Your Blog




1. Awesome Images

No matter where I start from, whether it is a Linky Party, Pinterest, Google Plus, what ever, I am first and always attracted to your post by the image you have on display.

Everyone knows that. And that is something I am definitely working on. 

I started off with my regular digital camera but have upgraded to a Nikon DX. Mind you I love taking photographs and I wanted a better camera anyway. But holy cow, what a huge difference! I'm going to eventually go back and put better pictures on my older posts.

Many bloggers use IStockPhoto, or Flickr for images and that's great if it works for them but it doesn't for me. I wasted so much time looking for pictures just to be disappointed.

Oh ya, an awesome image isn't necessarily a professionally taken photograph. An awesome image is one that shouts out for attention.

There are many different ways to attract attention, like through colour, lack of colour or just something plain fun. 

2. Sharing

Sharing is caring! When I read something good, I want to share it. The easier you make it for me to share the better. If I have to work too hard at it I'll just skip it and move to another blog.

I like Pinning. As soon as I realize that I like your post, I want to PIN it. And the easiest way for me to do that is to click on the Pinterest icon that appears right on your pictures when I hover over it. I don`t have to search for it or strain my eyes to see it. 

(There are all kinds of places on the net to get instructions for putting the Pinterest hover button. This is just one. Click HERE.)

Done and move on. It has to be that simple.

If you make it easy for me, I`ll even share your post on Twitter and Stumble. I`ll like your Facebook page. Make me search for those sharing buttons and I`ll likely just skip it.

This is where I got my share buttons. Click HERE. It's free and easy. 


3. Showing Off Your Best

So I`m on your blog and I've shared your post. Now what?

I want to see more. What else do you got? Anything interesting?

Try showing off your popular post in your side bar.

Or put "You Might Also Like" at the end of a blog post. Click HERE to add it to your blog.

Either way, you'll keep me on your blog longer while I bebop from post to post.


4. Your Picture

I don`t know about you, but I love seeing a picture of the blogger. It`s you that I can relate to. It`s you I want to follow. And it`s your writing I want to read. Plus I tend to remember you face more than a blog title. 

To me, your face is like your business logo. Memorable.


5. Your About Me Page

Everyone likes to feel like they fit in. 

It`s a good feeling when I get to read more about you and find we have something in common. This alone could be the reason I follow you and share your posts. Is this true for you too?


6. Follow Me Buttons

Once I decide to follow you please make it easy for me to do it. 

There`s nothing more disappointing to really like a blogger but can't follow them because you can`t seem to figure out where the follow me buttons are.

I just changed my buttons. They were spread out but now they are grouped together. We'll see if it makes a difference.

This is where I got my follow me buttons. Click HERE. It's free and easy.

7. Subscribe by Email

It`s all about the list. Well, that`s what everyone is saying. So make sure that is an option for me. 

Besides, lately I've noticed that I prefer to subscribe by email. Sure it means  loads of mail but I find it a challenge to get my email back down to zero. I scan emails, reading and deleting as I go.

I actually just moved this box to the top of my right panel and I already got more email subscriptions in this last couple of weeks than I did in the last year. Bonus.

I use FeedBurner. Click HERE. Or if you prefer MailChimp, click HERE.

To be honest, I don't know what the difference is and I can't remember why I choose FeedBurner. It works.




*******************************


I'm jumping up and down with joy. I can't thank you enough ladies. 

This mother and daughter dual, Debi and Charly featured this post on their fabulous blog Adorned From Above.




*******************************




This is too exciting. 

I would like to thank the hosts of the blog hop for featuring this post. I am honored.

To see the other featured posts and meet the hosts, please click HERE.

Terri Henkels publicly sent out this invitation, "Stop by and see the post Features of the week by some creative and great bloggers." 




*******************************

I'm doing a happy dance now! 

This post has been featured on the Blog Strut as the most clicked.





*******************************


I'm dancing again.

Thank you Carol and Linda for featuring my post at your party.

Check out the smiles on these lovely ladies.



*******************************


Well thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed reading this post. 


And don't forget to stop by my Etsy Shop, Little Shop of Treasures or check out a few other posts.

To receive my blog updates - please subscribe via email or follow through one of the other social medias. And don't forget to share the love.  :)

I look forward to reading your comments. Make my day and leave one!



91 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Ema for stopping by for a visit and leaving a comment. As you know comments make my day. Have a good one, Darlene

      Delete
  2. These all seem so obvious (if I want easy, so do my readers!) but easy to forget when you're the blogger! I finally figured out how to do the group of buttons instead of having each social media site along the sidebar - so much cleaner. :)

    Visiting from Show Some Love Hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, I seems obvious but it wasn't for me. Dah! I'm still learning.

      Delete
  3. I have to get an email list started! And I so totally agree about making follow buttons east to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, you have feedburner on your blog so you have an email list. Check it out - you should see my name there. Good luck.

      Delete
  4. This is a great post! I am pinning it to my "e learning" board on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to know how to do a email list from my Blogger blog. Do you have instructions for that somewhere?

    Found you through Sparkles and a Stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, I just added a couple of links for email. I hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Hi again Sharon. You have FeedBurner as well. That means you have an email list.

      I feel silly. I just figured out how to find my email list on FeedBurner last week. I definitely need to do a bit more research into how it all works. Unless someone has some advice for me. :)

      Delete
  6. GREAT post! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this. I'll be making changes to my blog accordingly. I love that there are helpful bloggers out there - thank you for being one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, glad you like my post and that you found it helpful. Wishing you the best.

      Delete
  7. Great post! I have the big "P" for pinterest right on the top of my bookmarks bar, to make it really easy to pin:) Thanks for stopping at The Four Seasons Blog Hop~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I thought about adding it to my bookmarks bar too but it's already too full. I'm assuming it works great for you. Maybe I should weed out my bookmarks bar.

      Delete
  8. These are some great tips. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. So happy you decided to stop by and leave a comment.

      Delete
  9. Great tips! Thanks for the links. Blogging does not come easy for the technologically challenged :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, I know what you mean. It has taken me forever to get my blog this way and heaven knows it still needs work.

      Delete
  10. Awesome post. I will be instituting the ones I don't have during this coming week! Thanks Charlie @pickledokra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie. I am happy that you found this helpful.

      Delete
  11. wonderful post, I too look for pictures and I want to know about you and I want to follow but please don't make me beg. Thanks for the pinterest on pictures, I have been curious about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thanks for the compliment. That's it exactly - don't make me beg to follow you. And your welcome for the hover button.

      Delete
  12. Great tips and observations from your experience reading our blogs. It is really helpful information. Thanks for posting on our Blog Strut tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with the pin button! I hate when it is not there and I can't pin. Most bloggers have the Pinterest button, but that is to follow them on Pinterest--not pin the post.
    I also prefer to follow by email as I can't delete after reading and don't have to think about it too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Pnterest hover button. It makes it so easy to share someone's content.

      Delete
  14. Came from Fall into the Holidays. Great post! I a definitely implement 2 of the things I don't currently have on my blog asap. Thanks! Charlie @pickledokra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just did it the my share widget, email me gadget, and the linked within at the bottom in less than 20 minutes! I was only going to the first 2, but it was so fast that I did all 3 that I was missing. :o) These are all things I have thought about for weeks and you made it so easy! I pinned it and followed you. I am about to tweet it and follow you there as well. I would love it if you would take a look at my blog and consider following me back. Charlie @pickledokra.blogspot.com
    PS Your granddaughters are adorable! I read the shopping post too. Now I must sew more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie, that's amazing - how quick you were able to add the widgets. You're faster than me. It took me forever to figure it out. I must have been tired. Working on my blog in the wee hours of the night. That's definitely. I was tired. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

      Delete
  16. I also wish everyone put their follower buttons in an area easy to see. I think they should be on the top right or left side. Your new follower www.fashionphases.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I was just thinking, it would be kinda cool if blog templates had all these gadgets already set up to easily personalize it.

      Delete
  17. These are wonderful tips; it's all about engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are all really great tips! I too have been on blogs and I want to pin, share or follow and I cannot find ways to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few blogs that don't have the widgets. Me too for a long time. I wish someone had given me these tips.

      Delete
  19. Really nice tips. It's so helpful for my own blog to make notes of what I'm looking for as a reader on other blogs. Share buttons as huge, as are easy ways to follow the blogger. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are a few that I have missed. I may need to update my post.

      Delete
  20. Thanks for the tips! I just added a subscribe by email button, and I'm going to make a few other changes. Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tonna, Your welcome, I am so glad you found this post useful.

      Delete
  21. Hi Darlene, that Linkwithin widget is something I've been considering for a while now. Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks so much for this opinion post; it's really helpful to have your input. I think I might look for the same things, (except the pinterest...I'm so lazy at pinning) Visiting thru Inspire Me and hoping you're off to a wonderful, and relatively stress free, week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know when I first saw that Linkwithin widget, I was like that is so cool. I have to have it. Then it took me forever to get around to looking up how to do it because I assumed it would be hard. It's not hard when someone tells you how.

      Delete
  22. Visiting from Organized31.com's Inspire Us Thursday LinkUp. These are great tips...but my latest pet peeve is I want "Previous" & "Next" buttons to easily read posts in order. I tend to get to each blog only once, maybe twice a week and then I need to catch up on all the posts.

    Thanks for the great info!
    The Lady Kay
    www.theliberalladykay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I know what you mean about reading posts in order. I generally check out the Archive if the blogger has it but that isn't always the case.

      Really good point. I'll have to look into that and revise this post to include it. Don't worry, I will give you credit. :) Thanks so much.

      Delete
  23. Many great tips listed here! Thank you for sharing! There is always work to be done on blogs. I hope that in time I can have mine straightened out enough so that I don't have to be making changes every other day.
    Bismah @
    http://simplemamaathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there would be such a day but realistically it will never happen. Just when you think you have it all figured out someone will change the game rules.

      Delete
  24. these are all the things I have just been thinking about recently and wondering where to start to make them better, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing these. Makes me want to check everything I have on my blog and see if it is working for me. And thanks for sharing on my blog hop! http://contentemeant.blogspot.com/2013/12/what-are-you-doing-wednesday-blog-hop-32.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, I wonder if anyone has trouble navigating through my blog. I hope it is reader friendly.

      Delete
  26. Great tips Darlene! Thank you for sharing. Have a good night.

    Vashti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vashti, Nice to see you again. Wishing you the best, Darlene

      Delete
  27. Awesome tips! Happy you shared. c:

    <3
    Harlynn
    www.mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harlyn. Happy you paid me a visit and left a comment. :)

      Delete
  28. Thank you so much for sharing with Adorned From Above’s Link Party. We love having your join the fun.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debi and Charly, I love joining the fun each week. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  29. thanks for the tips. I'm working on that Pinterest 'hover button.' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a wonderful post and so very spot on! One of the most amazing things about this bloggy community is the help that we can share with each other. Thank you so much for sharing on Meandering Mondays! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey. We can learn so much from one another.

      Delete
  31. Great tips and very helpful. I agree with you. I too am working on the pinterest hover button. I didn't quit get it before. I'll keep trying. I'm going to share this with my social network. :) Be blessed and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michal, I already checked and you have the Pinterest hover button! Congrats.

      Delete
  32. Great tips that every blogger should read. I am so with you abou the Pin It button. Please make it easy for me to share your amazing idea (why make me work to help you out?). Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan. Always happy to see you here paying me a visit. I'm glad you like the post.

      Delete
  33. Applause. This post was awesome. I already made some changes, I couldn't figure out before. I'm grateful for your links.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you so much for such concise information AND the links to get the jobs done! You are very generous with your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great informative post. Thank-you for sharing and linking your wonderful post to "The Most Fabulous Link-up Jol" I am following already you on a variety of different social media.
    Keren (From the blog: Fabulous-farmliving)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Keren. I'm so happy you like the post. I'm also already following you! :)

      Delete
  36. Great informative post! Thanks for linking up at the Most Fabulous Jol. Bette from Somerset Lane

    ReplyDelete
  37. Darlene, you are the most popular girl in town! Love your post and have featured it tonight. PINNED also. Best Christmas wishes to you. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. You're making me blush. Thanks so much my friend.

      Delete
  38. All good points! I have been frustrated many times when I couldn't find what I needed. Another frustration for me is when you try to tweet something and the tweet that comes up from the post doesn't have the blogger's twitter handle on it. I like for the person I am tweeting for to see the mention plus it allows for conversations to begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to check my tweets more carefully. Thanks for insight.

      Delete
  39. Hi, Darlene! I found your featured post at What To Do Weekends- thanks so much! I bookmarked several of the links you mentioned. :) I'm your newest fan on FB and Twitter....I tried to follow on Google+, but it will only show me your page for a split second then goes to a blank page. I run into this occasionally- I think it may have something to do with privacy...if I'm not already following you, I can't see your page...catch-22! ;) Anyway, I'm looking forward to keeping up with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, I`m not sure what is happening with Google+. I haven't had that problem before. I wonder if my link is not working. When I click on it, it seems okay. I'll have to look into this more. Thanks for letting me know about it.

      Delete
  40. Such a great post! I do the same things when I visit other blogs, but I never thought about the process in my mind. It was almost instinctive. It's great to know what other people are looking at to make sure that you have those elements on your blog!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Natasha, thanks for hosting the party every week. I'm glad you found this post informative.

      Delete
  41. Hi! Thank you so much for these tips. I especially appreciate the follow button link (www.addthis.com) because I have had no idea how to put some of these on my blog, even though I know they are important.

    Thanks so much for linking up with Motivational Monday!
    Becky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky. your welcome. I am glad someone found this post helpful.

      Delete
  42. Thanks for sharing this on Tuesdays With a Twist, and the you also might like link. I never knew how to do it, thought it was an option that I didn't have. Pinning on my just because board, I have no where else to put it. Have a blessed and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce. Thanks for the Pin and Merry Christmas to you too. :)

      Delete
  43. Darlene, I just happened to come across your blog post as I was searching for articles for my new blogging site. I am now following through with a dream and a passion as I help new parents learn how babies learn through play. You have the best advice and I was doing a tiny happy dance as I checked off the items. Sometimes a little encouragement is all I need to keep working. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell bloggers what visitors are looking for because our readers are the reason for the work. I truly appreciate you.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my post is still helping a year after I wrote it. I checked out your blog to and am now following you on pinterest but the other follow me buttons don't seem to be working. It could just be me, but maybe you could look into it anyway. Thanks for leaving your thoughtful comment. They are always welcome and gives me a reason to dance too. :)

      Delete
  44. Darlene, I love this list! Thanks for sharing it at the Retro Re-Pin Party and I hope to see you there tonight.
    Personally, one thing I always look for it the blogger's first name. I like to be able to match an name with the post. And yes, I like the name with a picture of the blogger, like you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wonderful ideas, Darlene. There are so many little things we can do as bloggers to make the reading experience better for our readers. I agree with you about remember a face more than a blog name. I love reading the about me sections to try to get a feel for the blogger. Easy sharing buttons are great!

    ReplyDelete
  46. These are great tips. I don't have an image or about me page on my blog because I run it as a business, not a personal blog, but I do like those for personal blogs. It does help the blog feel more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Darlene, Thank you so much for sharing these helpful tips of things to consider to make your blog easier to navigate and to be easier for our readers!

    ReplyDelete