Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Simple Rhubarb Pie Recipe



Hi there fellow Rhubarb lovers. Welcome to my little blog.  Today I want to share a Simple Rhubarb Pie Recipe with you.


Rhubarb Pie




Rhubarb Plant
Ten years ago, I was gifted a teeny tiny rhubarb sprout. I planted it in my backyard and it flourished. 

Over the years, I found teeny tiny rhubarb plants. My plant had babies which I gifted to friends so they could grow their own.

This is our second time to trim back the rhubarb plant this year. We didn't want the stalks to go to waste this time so we decided to make a pie.

I know, all these years and we have never made anything with it. Weird right.


Simple Rhubarb Pie

Before we could even start the pie we had to harvest a few stalks of rhubarb. I enlisted the help of two very eager little five year olds.

Of course that meant playtime. The huge leaves were used as umbrellas and fans. Smaller leaves were hats and plates for mud pies. I was too slow at getting my camera out. Darn it.

chopped up rhubarb stalks
I handed the collander of rhubarb over to my eighteen year old daughter. She took it from there.

Ingredients for Rhubarb Pie

  • 4 cups of rhubarb chopped up
  • 1 1/2 cups of sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • Pie crust for top and bottom

Directions for Rhubarb Pie

uncooked rhubarb pie
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  • Chop up rhubarb in 1/2" pieces.
  • Prepare enough pie crust to cover the bottom of the tin and the top of the pie.
  • Combine flour and sugar. Set aside.
  • Pour chopped rhubarb into prepared pie shell.
  • Sprinkle combined sugar and flour over rhubarb.
  • Dampen edges
  • Top with second crust.
  • Crimp and trim edge of crust to seal
  • Pierce the top crust with a fork for vents
  • Bake pie at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for fifteen minutes.
  • Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking for another 40 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the rhubarb is tender.

Rhubarb Pie
I prefer to eat rhubarb pie when it's cold - especially in the summer - so I waited to enjoy this tart summer treat.

I actually waited 'til the next day which turned out to be absolutely gorgeous. It was warm but a refreshing breeze sauntered through my back yard.

I had a full cup of milk to calm my taste buds after tart bite. It was so good. Too bad everyone else in my family likes rhubarb pie too. In the blink of an eye it disappeared. I only got this one piece.  :(



*****************************************************************

Well, thanks for stopping by. I hope the instructions were clear enough. Please let me know if there is something I could have explained better.

Rhubarb Pie
If your interested, stop by my Etsy Shop, Little Shop of Treasures or check out this free printable calendar.


If you would like to receive my blog updates please subscribe via email or follow me on TwitterPinterest or Blog Lovin.



Rhubarb Pie





Have a fantastic day.





saving4six
Hey Carrie, I am so grateful and thrilled that you featured this post about rhubarb pie at Saving 4 Six.








Hi Marcie, thanks for featuring my Simple Rhubarb Pie Recipe on your blog, I Gotta Try That.


16 comments:

  1. Yum this sounds good! Thank you for spreading JOY and sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day party.

    Holly at Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly. It was very good. Nice to see you again.

      Delete
  2. My rhubarb may not be getting enough sun - seems like it should be bigger by now!
    Your pie looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernideen, Thanks for stopping by. My rhubarb does get full sun for the majority of the day.

      Delete
  3. Now this is a recipe I've always wanted to try. I've never had rhubarb. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Brandi, this is my first time trying rhubarb pie and it is delicious.

      Delete
  4. Yum, I love anything with rhubarb. Since you only got one piece of pie, you need to make another pie this weekend. :) Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know know rhubarb tasted so good until now. I wish I could make another pie. We just moved and I sadly had to leave my beloved plant behind.

      Delete
  5. Yum! I really want to try growing it. I have to find a friend that has a plant! Thanks again for sharing on my blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think rhubarb is one of the easiest plants to grow. In fact it grows so well that it can sometimes be hard to keep it under control. LOL

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to try this. Thanks for linking up the recipe at Think Tank Thursday. I've featured you today.
    http://www.saving4six.com/2013/07/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-37.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, thanks so much for featuring my recipe. Sorry it took me so long to reply to your comment. I was in the middle of moving.

      Delete
  7. I clicked over to see your beautiful pie photo and then wow you grew the rhubarbs yourself- even better!It looks delicious and your photo is beautiful. Thanks for sharing at All Things Pretty. Hope you come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, thanks so much. I had just as much fun setting up the photo as I did cutting the stalks with my granddaughters.

      Delete
  8. Rhubarb pie is absolutely my favourite type of pie! You are so lucky to be able to grow rhubarb in your garden. Unfortunately where I live, it gets too hot and dry in the Summer to grow it, so I just have to get it frozen....

    ReplyDelete