Thursday, November 8, 2012

Two Books For Etsy Beginner's

Happy Thursday!

So, I have been pretty busy lately trying to make my Etsy shop better. I'm still really new to this, and there's so much to learn! Shipping, shop policies, banners, branding, taxes, pricing, and on! Don't get me wrong, I'm having a ton of fun and the Etsy community is so friendly and helpful but to be honest I didn't realize how much "work" was involved before I started. 

I realized a week ago that I was doing a terrible job. So, I did what I always do when I want to know something - I buy a book (well I checked the library first, no books on Etsy!). I bought two actually; Etsy-preneurship by Jason Malinak, and Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies by Allison Strine and Kate Shoup, and I am so glad I did! 

Obviously I could have found out just as much information online for free, but I wouldn't even have known what to look for. Between these two books, I am being bombarded with information! All of it is so useful, helpful and detailed. 

Etsy-preneurship by Jason Malinak



Okay, I chose this book for it's emphasis on finances. Jason Malinak goes through business plans, bookkeeping, taxes, finances, legal topics, operations, marketing and other tips for Etsy sellers. This book has been extremely helpful for all that boring stuff I really dread doing, but this book makes it much simpler and explains why it's important. 

Jason also has an Etsy shop, JJMFinace.


Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies by Allison Strine and Kate Shoup



I have never read a book from the For Dummies series before, but I'm glad I read this one! This book is my Etsy bible, and I have this bad habit of bringing it with me everywhere in my purse (which gets really heavy!). 

This book explains basically everything! How to take great photographs, marketing, customer service, shop policies, about me page, and on and on! The best part is how it's written. It's easy to understand, very thorough with great examples and humorous to read. 


I really, really suggest that any serious Etsy seller who wants some great advice to check out either of these books, or both. 

And like I said, I'm an Etsy amateur, and yes I know it shows, but I'm hoping with these two books, and with the friendly members of Etsy's help I will become an expert.

What are you struggling with when it comes to your Etsy shop?

Thanks, 
COLE


No comments:

Post a Comment